Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pregnancy Education Class – WOW!

So let me begin by saying I can’t believe no one told me all this. There is just so much! I can’t decide if I’m more scared now or if I feel better being informed and more prepared.

I’ll spare you all the graphic details, but for those of you who’ve had children you know what I’m talking about. Especially the part after you have the baby…who knew it took so long to recover. It’s like you’re not yourself for a long time...maybe even forever. And that’s if everything goes well! I’m cringing just thinking about it. At one point Ben leaned over to me and said, “I’ve always been happy I’m not a girl, but now I’m WAY FREAKING happy.” Thanks Ben :)

Labor looks pretty long and intense. I always thought I would just get an epidural, but since I’ve been seeing the midwives and they are known for helping patients through natural labors, now I’m not sure. I don’t know…I just don’t think I’m the natural labor kind of girl. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

We were also able to tour the hospital I’ll be delivering at, American Fork Hospital. It is so great! The rooms are huge. They have a large TV and a leather couch that can be converted into a bed. There is even a shower and jetted tub. I don’t know how this compares with other delivery rooms, but our teacher said they are the best!

My favorite part of the class was when we practiced soothing techniques to use during contractions. Basically Ben had to give me a back massage for 30 minutes. He never gives backrubs…it was so awesome! I think he felt pressured to do it because everyone else was. I really don’t care what prompted it, I was just soooooo happy.

Well, my due date is quickly approaching and despite all the details about labor and delivery we are looking forward to meeting our new baby girl. Only 9 weeks to go!

2 comments:

  1. I just can't believe it's getting so close! I like Ben's comment about not being a girl...I kinda feel the same way, except I am a girl...nuts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am one of the strange people that really enjoyed labor and delivery. I tried to go as long as I could without the epidural and then finally caved. Man oh man, was it worth it! All in all I really thought delivery was pretty easy and fun. Hopefully you will have the same experience!

    ReplyDelete